Image Map

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Heroes & Studio 60

Finally saw the pilots of Tim Kring's Heroes and Sorkin's Studio 60. And in my own usual I-love-being-the-naysayer-because-it-makes-me-feel-different, I was strangely looking forward to finding them overrated. But they're not. They're great. And let me say this: I'm the far bigger snob about Heroes. Heroes is a world I know far better. Heroes is a world I play in. And Heroes STILL exceeded my expectations. Yes, everyone will say Hiro is the best character. And yes, people will make the LOST comparisons. But by the end, you'll love it for your very own reasons. And you'll start wondering about it. And you'll start coming up with your own theories. And that's the sign of a good show.

Worst part? NBC sent me the shows to see early, so was even extra determined not to shill for them.

Brad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I can't wait to see Heroes. I love genre television and there are so few good ones out there -- I'll really miss Surface this season, I wish Medium was coming back sooner and Battlestar Galactica can’t start soon enough. I was able to see the pilot of Studio 60 thanks to NBC making it available through Netflix, and while I wasn't necessarily looking forward to it, I was pleasantly surprised. The show has definite potential and I think Matthew Perry and Amanda Peet may turn out be the best damn thing about the entire series – what I saw in the pilot was very good. The entire cast doesn’t quite gel for me (specifically Weber and Hughley), but it was only the pilot and Sorkin is very good at working with a large cast of characters.

By the way, I didn’t realize you were one of the creators of Jack and Bobby. While I disliked the liberal caricature in the mother, it was a very good show cancelled before its time. Absolutely loved the final episode.